EL PASO SOUTHERN RAILWAY
EL PASO SOUTHERN RAILWAY. The El Paso Southern Railway Company was chartered on March 14, 1897, with a capital stock of $100,000. The original stockholders and board of directors consisted of J. Ferguson Smith, Jonathan P. Ramsey, E. W. Mead, James W. Duke, James H. McHimmell, L. P. Atwood, Edwin B. Wynam, J. Douglas Matthew, L. D. Welch, and Max Weber, all of whom resided in El Paso. The line was originally to extend from the international bridge over the Rio Grande five miles north to Mount Franklin in El Paso County, but the company actually laid only two miles of track. The railroad handled cars between the Mexico North-Western Railway and the three American lines in El Paso and in 1937 was reclassified by the Railroad Commission as a terminal operation. The El Paso Southern was owned for most of its existence by the Mexico North-Western Railway Company (Compañía del Ferrocarril Nor-Oeste de Mexico). On December 13, 1954, all outstanding stock of the EPS was acquired by the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad Company of Texas, and the switching service contracted to the Southern Pacific. The El Paso Southern was merged into the Southern Pacific Company, and its corporate existence terminated at midnight, October 31, 1961.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "EL PASO SOUTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqe08), accessed June 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.