FREDERICKSBURG AND NORTHERN RAILWAY
FREDERICKSBURG AND NORTHERN RAILWAY. The Fredericksburg and Northern Railway Company was chartered on December 26, 1917. It connected Fredericksburg with Fredericksburg Junction, twenty-four miles to the south on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway in Kendall County. The capital was $25,000, and the principal place of business was Fredericksburg. Members of the first board of directors were James M. Dobie of Cotulla; C. B. Lucas of Berclair; and Richard R. Russell, Thomas E. Mathis, W. W. Collier, J. H. Haile, and J. L. Browne, all of San Antonio. The Fredericksburg and Northern acquired the twenty-four miles of the San Antonio, Fredericksburg and Northern Railway Company, which was sold under foreclosure on December 31, 1917. Under the ownership of Mrs. R. F. Spenser the new railroad faired better than the old. In 1919 it grossed $15,353 and showed a profit of $3,003. In 1925 it showed a profit of $5,970. In 1926 it reported passenger earnings of $4,000 and freight earnings of $56,000 and owned two locomotives and one car; it was listed as a Class III railroad. Over the next several years revenue increased at a healthy rate, and operating expenses were kept at acceptable levels. But the railroad was still unable to service the debt incurred to purchase the railroad. The projected Gulf and West Texas Railway was to have included the Fredericksburg and Northern as part of its route, but the failure of this project left the company on its own. Train service ended July 27, 1942.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Victoria S. Murphy, "FREDERICKSBURG AND NORTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqf09), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.