Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

GREENVILLE NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY

GREENVILLE NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY. The Greenville Northwestern Railway Company was chartered in August 1912 as the Greenville and Whitewright Northern Traction Company to build an interurban railway between Greenville and Whitewright via Merit and Blue Ridge. The company was capitalized at $210,000, and the office was in Whitewright. Members of the first board of directors were A. R. Nicholson, A. W. De Fee, J. W. Castleberry, H. A. Barsun, J. E. Morris, and W. H. James, all of Greenville, and S. M. Dickens of Merit. At a director's meeting held on October 27, 1913, both the route and name were changed. These revisions were approved by the stockholders, and the charter was amended the following year. Construction began in 1913, and the road opened for freight service between Anna and Blue Ridge on November 13, 1913. Passenger service began about May 1914. There were thirty-three curves totaling 3.35 miles in the nearly twelve miles of track constructed at a cost of $122,000. However, the engineer sent by the Railroad Commission to inspect the Greenville Northwestern reported "their track is the worst that I ever rode over." The company operated one steam locomotive, one passenger car, and two freight cars as well as one passenger motor car. All of the equipment except the motor car, and much of the track material were bought from the Houston and Texas Central Railroad Company. For the year ending June 30, 1915, the Greenville Northwestern had revenue of $9,043.85 and a loss of $9,407.48. The company only operated one month during 1916, and a receiver was appointed on July 16, 1916. All equipment was retired before the end of the year, and the company was abandoned in 1920.

David Minor

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

David Minor, "GREENVILLE NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqg18), accessed September 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.