HAMLIN AND NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY
HAMLIN AND NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY. The Hamlin and Northwestern Railway Company was chartered in 1929 by Robert L. More of Vernon, C. M. Moore of Chillicothe, and others to lay out a road from Hamlin in Jones County to Flat Top in Stonewall County, a distance of ten miles. The capital was $10,000, and the business office was in Hamlin. In addition to More and Moore, members of the first board of directors included C. F. Kolp of Electra, M. S. Lung of Abilene, William G. Swenson of Stamford, R. L. More, Jr., of Vernon, Thomas C. Moore of Chillicothe, and Guy McNeal and Martin McCain, both of Hamlin. The line opened for traffic on May 10, 1929, and connected at Hamlin with the Santa Fe and Katy lines. It was meant to handle freight traffic only. By 1931 the road was listed as a Class III railroad by the Railroad Commission, owned one locomotive, and earned a total of $66,549. In 1952 the road paid $5,944 for rental of its freight cars and earned $79,796. Headquarters were moved to Chillicothe and later to Vernon. Diminishing profits resulted in the abandonment of the line in 1956.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "HAMLIN AND NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqh01), accessed April 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.