HOUSTON BELT AND MAGNOLIA PARK RAILWAY
HOUSTON BELT AND MAGNOLIA PARK RAILWAY. The Houston Belt and Magnolia Park Railway Company was chartered on April 2, 1889, to build a line from a point on Buffalo Bayou between the mouth of Brays Bayou and Long Reach to Houston. The capital was $150,000, and the office was in Houston. Members of the first board of directors were John Thomas Brady, J. Waldo, T. W. House, S. K. Dick, T. D. Cobbs, R. B. Morris, and Charles H. Milby, all of Harris County. The company built six miles of track from Fannin Street eastward on Commerce Avenue in Houston to Brady, at Constitution Bend on Buffalo Bayou. Freight traffic did not develop as anticipated, and the principal business was the carrying of passengers to and from the Magnolia Amusement Park. The line went into receivership on November 3, 1891, and was sold for taxes and costs for $190.50 on April 26, 1893. The property was conveyed to the Houston Land and Trust Company. During 1895 the company was used by the Galveston, La Porte and Houston Railway as an entrance into Houston. On November 1, 1898, under court order, the property was sold to Herbert F. Fuller for $9,100 who conveyed it to the Houston, Oaklawn and Magnolia Park Railway Company on May 16, 1899.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "HOUSTON BELT AND MAGNOLIA PARK RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqh10), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.