HUNTSVILLE BRANCH RAILWAY
HUNTSVILLE BRANCH RAILWAY. The Huntsville Branch Railway Company was chartered on April 4, 1871. The line was organized by citizens of Huntsville, who had refused to offer the Houston and Great Northern Railroad Company a bonus to build its line from Houston to Palestine through their city. As a result the main line of the Houston and Great Northern was built through the site of Phelps, seven miles east of Huntsville. On January 4, 1872, the Huntsville Branch Railway Company contracted with Shepherd, Mitchell, and Henry to build the line for $108,000 in Walker County bonds and right-of-way from Phelps to Huntsville, while the Houston and Great Northern agreed to supply rails, spikes, and other track material. The line was completed on March 26, 1872, and operated by the Houston and Great Northern until it was merged with that company on May 8, 1873.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "HUNTSVILLE BRANCH RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqh17), accessed December 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.