Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

LLANO ESTACADO RAILWAY

LLANO ESTACADO RAILWAY. The Llano Estacado Railway Company was chartered on February 4, 1909, by citizens of Floydada who wanted to build a railroad to connect with the Panhandle and Santa Fe. The line was planned to connect Floydada, Floyd County, with a point near Hereford, Deaf Smith County, for a distance of 120 miles. The main objective was to link Floyd County's two main towns, Lockney and Floydada, with the Santa Fe in Plainview to the west and Tulia and Canyon to the north. The LER capital was $200,000. The principal place of business was Floydada. The members of the first board of directors were W. M. Massie, R. C. Andrews, A. D. White, R. A. Childers, C. Surginer, and E. C. Henry, all of Floydada; Thomas L. Price of Jefferson City, Missouri; and William McGehee and C. I. White, both of Lockney. Construction between Plainview and Floydada was begun by the Llano Estacado, which completed the grading of the roadbed and placing of culverts. In March 1910 the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway, a Santa Fe subsidiary, purchased the graded roadbed and completed the line under its own charter. The Pecos and Northern Texas was leased to the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway Company on July 1, 1914, and merged with that company in 1948. The P&SF, itself a subsidiary of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe, was merged into the Santa Fe in 1965. The track between Plainview and Floydada was turned over to the Floydada and Plainview Railroad Company, a subsidiary of American Railway Corporation, on May 7, 1990.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Floyd County Historical Museum, History of Floyd County, 1876–1979 (Dallas: Taylor, 1979).

Nancy Beck Young

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Nancy Beck Young, "LLANO ESTACADO RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eql05), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.