LOUISIANA, ARKANSAS AND TEXAS RAILWAY
LOUISIANA, ARKANSAS AND TEXAS RAILWAY. The Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas Railway Company was chartered on March 27, 1923, as the Louisiana Railway and Navigation Company of Texas; its name was changed on April 14, 1930. Early directors included H. C. Couch of Pine Bluff, Arkansas; C. P. Couch of Shreveport, Louisiana; Louis Tobian of Dallas; J. P. Dowell of McKinney, Texas; T. J. Taylor, Jr., of Jefferson; J. J. Bond of Ft. Worth; Pat Neff of Waco; and John D. Middleton of Greenville. The main office was in Greenville. In 1929 the Louisiana and Arkansas Railway acquired and leased the Louisiana Railway and Navigation Company and gained control of the Louisiana Railway and Navigation Company of Texas. The line in Texas was renamed to reflect the change in control. The LA&T operated a 181 mile line from McKinney to the Texas-Louisiana state line near Waskom. On July 15, 1932, the line began service between Greenville and Dallas via trackage rights over the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad Company of Texas. Effective October 17, 1937, the Dallas entry was changed to the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company from Farmersville. In 1933 the company owned fifteen locomotives, 160 freight cars, eleven passenger cars, and fifty-five company service cars. Earnings that year were $3,567 from passengers, $763,054 from freight, and $73,788 in other revenue. The LA&T was merged into the Louisiana and Arkansas on July 1, 1939.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "LOUISIANA, ARKANSAS AND TEXAS RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqlfl), accessed December 04, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.