MIDLAND AND NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY
MIDLAND AND NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY. The Midland and Northwestern Railway Company was chartered on January 16, 1916, to construct a line of railroad from Midland in a northwesterly direction to a point in Gaines County, a distance of sixty-five miles. An extension of the line into New Mexico was contemplated. The initial capital stock was $65,000, and the business office was in Midland. Members of the first board of directors included Thomas J. O'Donnell of Sweetwater, and H. N. Garrett, B. C. Girdley, E. F. Elkin, J. A. Haley, B. F. Whitefield, J. A. Hunter, W. H. Brunson, and W. J. Moran, all of Midland. Construction began in 1916 and in September 1917 the 47½ miles between Midland and Florey was opened for service. The following September the additional 17½ miles to Seminole was completed, making a total of slightly over sixty-five miles of railroad. The Midland and Northwestern was placed in the hands of a receiver on March 1, 1920, with service discontinued on July 25 of the same year. Construction material and equipment for the railroad were supplied by the Texas and Pacific, which retained a lien on the property and a chattel mortgage on the equipment to secure payment. On June 5, 1923, the Texas and Pacific bought the property of the Midland and Northwestern for the amount of the receivership expenses in order to recover its property. The Railroad Commission 1924 ordered the Texas and Pacific to rehabilitate the road and to return it to service. However, the commission subsequently decided that it had no power to enforce its order, and the Midland and Northwestern was taken up during 1925.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "MIDLAND AND NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqm04), accessed December 07, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.