NORTHSIDE BELT RAILWAY
NORTHSIDE BELT RAILWAY. The Northside Belt Railway Company was chartered on March 23, 1925, to connect the American Petroleum Company with the Municipal Harbor Belt Railroad five miles to the west. The initial capital stock was $10,000, and the principal place of business was Houston. Members of the first board of directors were A. M. Johnson, J. Y. Powell, T. J. Arnold, G. R. Morgan, W. T. Sinclair, H. J. Cullinan, and Beeman Strong, all of Houston. Construction of the first section on the north side of the Houston Ship Channel began three months prior to the incorporation of the Northside Belt, with Cullinan personally advancing the funds. A second section was completed in March 1926 and the balance in May and June 1927. The Northside Belt was to be operated under contract by the American Petroleum Company. In 1928 the Interstate Commerce Commission rejected the company's application for a certificate of public convenience and necessity to operate in interstate commerce. On December 31, 1930, the Northside Belt was leased for operation by the Port Terminal Railroad Association, which subsequently absorbed the company. The Northside Belt was dissolved in December 1964.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "NORTHSIDE BELT RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqn04), accessed September 14, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.