Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

PANHANDLE AND GULF RAILWAY

PANHANDLE AND GULF RAILWAY. The Panhandle and Gulf Railway Company was chartered on July 15, 1899, to acquire and complete the Colorado Valley Railway Company, which had built seven miles of its projected line from Sweetwater to San Angelo. The capital of the Panhandle and Gulf was $100,000, and the business office was at Sweetwater. Members of the first board of directors included Thomas Trammell, R. L. McCaulley, A. J. Long, F. M. Long, and R. A. Ragland, all from Sweetwater. In March 1900 the P&G amended its charter to allow the company to build from San Angelo to Laredo. Shortly thereafter the P&G was acquired by Arthur E. Stilwell to serve as the Texas section of his projected railroad from Kansas City to a port on the Pacific in Mexico. In May the charter was again amended, with the projected route changed to run from San Angelo to some point on the Rio Grande in Presidio or Brewster counties. Another amendment approved in September 1900 authorized the P&G to extend from Sweetwater to a point on Red River on the north line of Hardeman County. This gave the company a projected line of 500 miles from the Rio Grande to the Red River. The following February the charter was again amended to provide for a branch 450 miles in length from San Angelo to a point on the Rio Grande in Cameron County at or near Brownsville. On August 23, 1905, the name of company was changed to the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway Company of Texas. By that time the line had completed track to Sylvester, fifteen miles from Sweetwater. A different route between Sweetwater and San Angelo was selected by the KCM&O of T, and the original line subsequently was abandoned.

Chris Cravens

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Chris Cravens, "PANHANDLE AND GULF RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqp02), accessed September 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.