RED RIVER, TEXAS AND SOUTHERN RAILWAY
RED RIVER, TEXAS AND SOUTHERN RAILWAY. The Red River, Texas and Southern Railway Company was chartered on February 4, 1901, to build a railroad south from the Red River at Willis, Grayson County, to Fort Worth, along with a branch line to Dallas. The capital was $200,000, and the office was initially located at Willis but subsequently moved to Fort Worth. Members of the first board of directors were Sam Lazarus, Jot Gunter, and T. LaHache, all of Grayson County; J. D. Perry Francis, William Stix, and W. P. Kenneth, all of St. Louis; and John S. Summerfield of Dallas. On March 23, 1902, the company placed in service about fifty-three miles of track between Sherman and Carrollton and about four miles of additional track at Fort Worth. The Red River, Texas and Southern used the Saint Louis Southwestern Railway Company of Texas track between Carrollton and Fort Worth. In 1903 the company earned $43,274 in passenger revenue and $205,032 in freight revenue. It connected with the Saint Louis, San Francisco and Texas Railway Company at Sherman, and was merged with that company on June 25, 1904.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "RED RIVER, TEXAS AND SOUTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqr02), accessed March 07, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.