Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

SHREVEPORT, HOUSTON AND GULF RAILROAD

SHREVEPORT, HOUSTON AND GULF RAILROAD. The Shreveport, Houston and Gulf Railroad, a short line located in Angelina County, was authorized on June 19, 1906, to build 100 miles from Prestridge, on the St. Louis Southwestern Railroad, to Houston. The financiers were W. T. Carterqv and George A. Kelly. The capital was $100,000, and the business office was in Manning. The members of the first board of directors were Kelly, R. D. Collins, and E. J. Mantooth, all of Lufkin; James J. Carroll, Jack Thomas, and E. A. Carter, all of Camden; and W. T. Carter and C. L. Carter, both of Houston. By 1909 a nine-mile stretch was completed, from Prestridge to Manning. The Carter-Kelly Lumber Company had a sawmilling operation at Manning, and the line was never extended beyond that point. At Prestridge the Shreveport, Houston and Gulf made connections with the Texas and New Orleans and the St. Louis Southwestern (formerly the Texas and Louisiana). In 1916 the SH&G reported passenger earnings of $3,000 and freight earnings of $20,000 and owned one locomotive and five cars. The mill of the Carter-Kelly Lumber Company at Manning burned on February 1, 1935. After the stock of lumber on hand was exhausted in July 1935, the SH&G no longer operated carload freight service. However, passenger service continued until July 1936, express service until October 31, 1936, and the carrying of mail until December 31, 1936. The line was idle in 1937 and abandoned early the next year.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Frank W. Johnson, A History of Texas and Texans (5 vols., ed. E. C. Barker and E. W. Winkler [Chicago and New York: American Historical Society, 1914; rpt. 1916]).

Megan Biesele

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Megan Biesele, "SHREVEPORT, HOUSTON AND GULF RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqs19), accessed July 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.