SOUTH GALVESTON AND GULF SHORE RAILROAD
SOUTH GALVESTON AND GULF SHORE RAILROAD. The South Galveston and Gulf Shore Railroad Company was chartered on July 24, 1891, and planned to run from a point in the city of Galveston in a southwesterly direction, for a distance of twenty miles. The capital stock was $150,000, and the principal office was Galveston. The members of the first board of directors were M. F. Mott, Lucian Minor, Thomas H. Sweeney, J. N. Sawyer, and George J. Gray, all of Galveston; and E. H. Dow, S. B. McClurken, and Frank H. Dunlevy, all of Denver, Colorado. In 1893 the railroad built four miles of track in Galveston, and in 1895 the track was abandoned. In 1896 the South Galveston and Gulf Shore Railroad forfeited its charter.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "SOUTH GALVESTON AND GULF SHORE RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqs20), accessed August 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.