SOUTHERN TRANS-CONTINENTAL RAILWAY
SOUTHERN TRANS-CONTINENTAL RAILWAY. The Southern Trans-Continental Railway Company was chartered on July 27, 1870, with authority to construct a railroad from the eastern boundary of Texas to El Paso. The company was also given the right to acquire the rights and property of the Memphis, El Paso and Pacific Railroad Company. On October 31, 1870, the company was organized in New York; its directors included Texans George H. Giddings and James W. Throckmorton. The directors also included John C. Fremont and Marshall O. Roberts. The business office was in Marshall. The Southern Trans-Continental did some surveying and was in the process of building a bridge over the Sulphur River when it was acquired by the Texas Pacific Railroad (later the Texas and Pacific Railway) on March 30, 1872.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SOUTHERN TRANS-CONTINENTAL RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqs25), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.