ST. LOUIS, ARKANSAS AND TEXAS RAILWAY
ST. LOUIS, ARKANSAS AND TEXAS RAILWAY. The St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway Company in Texas was chartered on January 29, 1886, to acquire the properties of the Texas and St. Louis Railway Company in Texas, which had been sold under foreclosure. The initial capital was $9,555,000, and the business office was in Texarkana. Members of the first board of directors included Adolph Oppenheimer and Garrett S. Walling of Brooklyn, New York; James D. Turner and Henry R. Sadler of New York City; C. M. Seley and George Clark of Waco; L. B. Fish of Tyler; James Garrity of Corsicana; and William Behan of Texarkana. The company took possession of 305 miles of narrow gauge track extending from Texarkana to Gatesville on May 1, 1886, which it converted to standard gauge by January 12, 1887. On April 29th of that year the railroad acquired the Kansas and Gulf Short Line Railroad Company running between Tyler and Lufkin. In 1887 the company also completed a 109 mile line between Mt. Pleasant and Sherman and the following year completed forty miles between Corsicana and Hillsboro and ninety-nine miles from Commerce to Ft. Worth, giving the railroad 643 miles of main track. On May 13, 1889, S. W. Fordyce was appointed receiver of both the St. Louis, Arkansas and Texas Railway Company in Texas and the property formerly belonging to the Kansas and Gulf Short Line. The receiver operated the properties until June 1, 1891, when they were turned over to new companies, namely the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company of Texas and the Tyler Southeastern Railway Company.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "ST. LOUIS, ARKANSAS AND TEXAS RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqs29), accessed December 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.