TEMPLE-NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY. The Temple-Northwestern Railway Company was chartered on March 17, 1910, and was to build a line from Temple northwest through Gatesville and Hamilton to Comanche, about 100 miles. Initial capitalization was $100,000, and the business office was located at Temple. The original members of the board of directors included W. J. McDaniel, H. W. Peck, J. B. Grigsby, and J. V. Biard, all from Dallas, P. L. Downs of Temple, and W. B. Ferguson of Waxahachie. The railroad was conceived and financed by the citizens of Temple to extend and protect their trade and to connect with another rail line. Forty miles of grading had been done and five miles of track completed when the project had to be abandoned. The rival St. Louis and Southwestern of Texas had extended its Stephenville North and South line to parallel the route, and the territory could not support both lines.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."TEMPLE-NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt02), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.