TEXAS AND LOUISIANA RAILROAD
TEXAS AND LOUISIANA RAILROAD. The Texas and Louisiana Railroad Company was chartered on July 24, 1900, in the interest of the Lufkin Land and Lumber Company, to build a railroad between Lufkin and Newton. The capital was set at $200,000, and the business office was in Lufkin. Members of the first board of directors were E. W. Frost and T. L. L. Temple, both of Texarkana; C. T. Crowell of Los Angeles, California; and George A. Kelley, George S. Prestridge, E. A. Frost, and E. J. Mantooth, all of Lufkin. The company built twenty-two miles of track from Lufkin to Monterey to gain access to the timber owned by the Lufkin Land and Lumber Company. The construction was accomplished in two stages, first from Lufkin to Donovan (14½ miles) in 1900, and second from Donovan to Monterey (7½ miles) in 1902. The unballasted track was laid with thirty-five pound rail. The road was consolidated with the St. Louis Southwestern Railway Company of Texas (Cotton Belt) on July 7, 1903. For the fiscal year ending June 30, 1903, the Texas and Louisiana reported passenger earnings of $6,000 and freight earnings of $66,000, and owned one locomotive and two cars. The Cotton Belt completed the four miles from Monterey to Warsaw under construction at the time of the merger. In 1907 sixteen miles from Warsaw to White City was acquired from the Lufkin Land and Lumber Company. With the depletion of the timber resources along the line, the Cotton Belt abandoned thirty miles between White City and Prestridge in 1933 and in 1939 the balance of the former Texas and Louisiana. The depot at Huntington was thereafter used as a residence.
Two other railroads named Texas and Louisiana were chartered in Texas. The first was the Texas and Louisiana Railroad Company which was chartered by the Texas legislature on February 14, 1852, as one of several proposed transcontinental projects. This company had the right to build across the state from Harrison County to El Paso. On August 1, 1883, the Texas and Louisiana Railway Company was incorporated to build from the Sabine River in Newton County to Williamson County. However, both companies were unsuccessful and did not build any track.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "TEXAS AND LOUISIANA RAILROAD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt05), accessed May 22, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.