TEXAS AND SABINE VALLEY RAILWAY
TEXAS AND SABINE VALLEY RAILWAY. The Texas and Sabine Valley Railway Company was chartered on October 5, 1892. The railroad was planned to begin at the terminus of the Texas, Sabine Valley and Northwestern Railway in Carthage and continue southeast thirty miles through Shelby County. The railroad had a capital stock of $375,000. The principal place of business was Carthage. The members of the first board of directors were James M. Mobberly (or Moberly), R. B. Levy, Jr., G. T. Merrill, Thomas M. Clemmons, and R. J. Evans, all of Longview; and Wilber F. Hebert, Jr., E. S. Lanchar, Frank M. Lanchar, and Austin Gallagher, all of New York City. Hebert owned all but nine of the 3,750 shares of stock. In 1893 the railroad built 2.2 miles of track between Carthage and Boren, which was operated by the Texas, Sabine Valley and Northwestern. On June 7, 1897, the railroad was sold under foreclosure to F. T. Rembert. The Texas and Sabine Valley was acquired by the Texas and Gulf Railway Company on December 27, 1904, and abandoned prior to 1910.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "TEXAS AND SABINE VALLEY RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt09), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.