TEXAS-NEW MEXICO RAILWAY
TEXAS-NEW MEXICO RAILWAY. The Texas-New Mexico Railway Company was chartered on November 19, 1927, to build from a point on the Texas and Pacific Railway near Monahans in Ward County to Kermit, near the Texas-New Mexico state line, a distance of about thirty-five miles. The amount of initial capitalization was $35,000, and the business office was located at Monahans. Members of the first board of directors included G. O. Bateman of Breckenridge, C. B. Marshall, R. S. Shepard, J. G. Mend, R. L. W. Thompson, A. C. Littlejohn, A. R. Dieterman, L. C. Porter, and L. T. McIntire, all from Dallas. On October 31, 1928, the Interstate Commerce Commission approved an application by the Texas and Pacific Railway Company to acquire control of the Texas-New Mexico by purchasing all of its capital stock. Thirty-four miles of track from Monahans through Kermit to the state line, along with three-mile branch to Wink, were completed in June 1929. In December of that year the Texas-New Mexico was authorized to build from the state line to Lovington, New Mexico, which was reached on July 20, 1930, totaling 112 miles of track. In 1933 the company leased one locomotive, one freight car, and one passenger car. Passenger revenues in 1952 totaled $56, while freight revenues totaled $1,209,996. In 1972 total earnings were $114,953. On November 1, 1978, the Texas-New Mexico was merged into the Missouri Pacific Railroad as successor to the Texas and Pacific. The line was subsequently sold to RailTex, Incorporated, of San Antonio, which began operating between Monahans and Lovington as the Texas and New Mexico Railroad on September 18, 1989.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Chris Cravens, "TEXAS-NEW MEXICO RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt23), accessed December 04, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.