TEXAS, ARKANSAS AND LOUISIANA RAILWAY
TEXAS, ARKANSAS AND LOUISIANA RAILWAY. The Texas, Arkansas and Louisiana Railway Company was chartered on September 4, 1897, by a group of Cass County businessmen who wanted to connect the Texas and Pacific Railway Company at Atlanta with the Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf Railroad Company at Bloomburg, a distance of eight miles all within Cass County. The business office was in Atlanta, and the members of the first board of directors were A. C. Smith, B. F. Ellington, Ed Rand, I. R. Jacobs, H. F. Rand, and M. Jacobs, all of Atlanta, Texas; and R. A. Morris of Pittsburg, Texas. The group had secured control of an older, narrow-gauge logging railroad, and by widening the track and extending the road an additional two miles, they formed a connecting link between Atlanta and Bloomburg. The 7½-mile road was completed and in operation by September 1897. The company secured a contract with the Wells Fargo Company to carry express and another with the Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf to obtain freight cars. The road carried produce of area farmers and lumbermen and some passengers. Although the original charter authorized the issuance of $100,000 worth of stock, only $25,000 of that amount was ever issued. The line never did a large volume of business, but it generally showed a profit and paid dividends ranging from $1,500 to $3,000 annually. In 1916 it reported passenger earnings of $1,700 and freight earnings of $14,000 and owned two locomotives and two cars. In 1917 the Logan Trust Company of Philadelphia acquired 243 of the 250 outstanding shares of stock. In 1918, the last year the line filed an annual report with the Railroad Commission, the company showed a deficit of $423. The road was abandoned in 1920.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "TEXAS, ARKANSAS AND LOUISIANA RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt24), accessed March 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.