TRINITY VALLEY SOUTHERN RAILWAY
TRINITY VALLEY SOUTHERN RAILWAY. The Trinity Valley Southern Railway Company was chartered December 13, 1901, for the purpose of constructing a railroad from Dodge southeasterly to Cold Springs, a distance of twenty miles. According to the original articles of incorporation the railroad had a capital stock of $100,000. The principal place of business was Oakhurst in San Jacinto County. Members of the first board of directors were J. T. Carey, J. T. Pinkley, J. G. Wepfer, and Robert Bish, all of Dodge; C. N. Carey and D. J. Young, both of Chicago; and E. J. Dupree, of Crockett. In December 1901 the TVS acquired six miles of track between Dodge and Oakhurst that had been built by the Columbia Lumber Company in 1899 as a plant facility to serve its sawmill at Oakhurst. Between August 7, 1899, and December 1901 the track had been leased to the Trinity Valley Railroad Company. On December 1, 1908, the Columbia Lumber Company and the TVS were acquired by the Palmetto Lumber Company. Most of the TVS earnings came from freight operations, but passenger service was also provided. In 1903 the line reported total passenger earnings of $1,000, while total gross earnings were over $20,000. The TVS owned one locomotive and one passenger car. By 1916 passenger earnings had grown to $2,000, and freight revenues had declined to $13,800. That year the TVS owned two locomotives and one passenger car. The TVS was dependent on the Palmetto Lumber Company for its traffic, which virtually disappeared after the mill closed in November 1930. For 1935 the TVS had operating revenue of $107 from freight and express, and operating expenses totaled $1,840. The railroad was abandoned the following year.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nancy Beck Young, "TRINITY VALLEY SOUTHERN RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqt31), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.