WICHITA FALLS AND WELLINGTON RAILWAY
WICHITA FALLS AND WELLINGTON RAILWAY. The Wichita Falls and Wellington Railway Company of Texas was chartered on March 3, 1910, by Joseph A. Kemp and Frank Kell, to build the Texas portion of a railroad between Altus, Oklahoma, and Wellington, Texas. The capital was $15,000, and the business office was in Wichita Falls. Members of the first board of directors included Kemp, Kell, Wiley Blair, P. P. Langford, M. M. Murray, C. C. Huff, and Robert A. Thompson, all from Wichita Falls. The fifty-seven mile line, of which fifteen miles were in Texas, was placed in service on November 1, 1910. Dodsonville and Wellington were the only two stations in Texas. The Oklahoma portion of the line was constructed by the Altus, Wichita Falls and Hollis Railway Company. Both companies were subsidiaries of the Wichita Falls and Northwestern Railway Company and were included in the sale of the parent road to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company in July 1911. The Wichita Falls and Wellington was leased to the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas (Katy) on May 1, 1914, and operated under lease by the Katy and its successor until the track was abandoned on July 31, 1958.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.George C. Werner, "WICHITA FALLS AND WELLINGTON RAILWAY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/eqw13), accessed August 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.