SANTA FE DOCK AND CHANNEL COMPANY
SANTA FE DOCK AND CHANNEL COMPANY. The Santa Fe Dock and Channel Company was established in the 1890s by the Santa Fe Railroad to build docks and track at Port Bolivar. The railroad hoped to develop Port Bolivar as a new Gulf port to give a direct outlet for the Santa Fe lines in East Texas. The extensive docks and track were sold in 1925 to the Gulf and Interstate Railway, and the corporation was dissolved on January 25, 1926. Trains to and from Galveston were transported by ferry, the only one of its kind in Texas. Because of insufficient traffic, the dock facilities were taken up in 1944.
S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.S. G. Reed, "SANTA FE DOCK AND CHANNEL COMPANY," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ets01), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.