BEEF TRAIL. The Beef Trail, or Beef Road, as surveyed by John R. Bevil, ran from Orcoquisac, or Liberty, Texas, to a junction with the La Bahía Road. Running northeast through the site of present Jasper, it crossed the Sabine River near that of Belgrade, Newton County. After crossing the Sabine, one branch went to Alexandria, Louisiana, and the other to Natchitoches, Louisiana. The name came from the fact that the road was used for driving cattle from Texas into Louisiana. The trail, which is supposed to have been surveyed about 1823, was abandoned soon after the Texas Revolution.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Bruce Blake, "BEEF TRAIL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/exb04), accessed March 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.