Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

ALLEY, JOHN

ALLEY, JOHN (?–?). John Alley, early colonist, soldier, and politician, was among Stephen F. Austin'sqv Old Three Hundred. He immigrated to Texas as early as 1826, when a Mexican census listed him as a farmer and stock raiser between twenty-five and forty years of age. The census indicated that he was married at the time and had two small sons. In 1827 Mexican officials granted him title to a league of land now in Jackson and Lavaca counties. On July 17, 1835, Alley was present at William Millican'sqv gin, where delegates adopted resolutions condemning Mexican policies on American colonists. On October 3, 1835, the day after the battle of Gonzales, Austin wrote Alley to inform him of the outbreak of hostilities and request intelligence regarding the approach of Mexican general Martín Perfecto de Cos. By November Alley had been appointed captain in the Texan "Army of the People," in which capacity he served on General Austin's headquarters staff. On December 6, 1835, he was elected commissioner to organize the militia for Jackson Municipality. In February he served as judge at the election of delegates to the Convention of 1836. Alley left Texas on April 18, 1838, and named Darwin M. Stappqv his agent during his absence from the republic.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Telegraph and Texas Register, January 16, 1836, April 18, 1838. Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence (Salado, Texas: Anson Jones, 1944; rpt. 1959).

Stephen L. Hardin

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Stephen L. Hardin, "ALLEY, JOHN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fal32), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Recent Additions