ANDREWS, JESSE (1874–1961). Jesse Andrews, lawyer and public servant, was born on April 9, 1874, in Waterproof, Louisiana, the son of Mark and Helen (McFerran) Andrews. He attended Jefferson College in Mississippi from 1887 to 1889 and then embarked on a career in the hardware business. He enrolled in the University of Texas in 1891 and received his B.Litt. in 1895 and LL.B. in 1896, after which he passed the bar examination. In 1899 Andrews entered the law firm of Baker, Botts, and Lovett (now Baker and Bottsqv), with which he remained throughout his career. He became a partner in 1906, and in 1933 his name was added to the firm's name. One of Andrews's major accomplishments was his stewardship of the Long-Bell Lumber Company, the world's largest lumber company in the 1920s. After leading the company through legal channels during the Great Depression, he became the chairman of its board of directors. Andrews was a trustee of the University of Kansas and maintained residences in both Houston and Kansas City. He was a member of the first zoning committee of the city of Houston and served as chairman of the Houston City Planning Commission for sixteen years. He also was a member of the Philosophical Society of Texas and served as both president and director of that organization. He married Emilia Celeste Bujac on November 8, 1900, and they had one son. At the time of his death in Houston on December 29, 1961, Andrews was an active Democrat, director and vice chairman of the executive committee of the Bank of the Southwest, director of the American General Life Insurance Company, and a trustee of the Robert A. Welch Foundation.
Sam Hanna Acheson, Herbert P. Gambrell, Mary Carter Toomey, and Alex M. Acheson, Jr., Texian Who's Who, Vol. 1 (Dallas: Texian, 1937). Proceedings of the Philosophical Society of Texas, 1961.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."ANDREWS, JESSE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fan19), accessed March 03, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.