Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

ANDREWS, ROBERT

ANDREWS, ROBERT (?–?). Robert Andrews, doctor, was a member of the Arkansas territorial legislature about 1820. Both he and Stephen F. Austin had been interested in land certificates in the Little Rock area. On November 3, 1821, Andrews wrote from Arkansas to Austin in New Orleans that he would do surveying in Texas requested by Austin and that he would leave with James Clarkqv for San Antonio about November 17. By January 29, 1822, he was on his surveying expedition. He left San Antonio on March 21, 1822, to accompany Austin to Mexico City to secure the authorization of the Austin colonization contract. Dr. Andrews stopped either in Laredo or Monterrey and by July 8, 1822, was practicing medicine in Saltillo. Immediately after March 4, 1823, he left Saltillo for Parras, where he wrote Austin on May 9, 1823, that he had applied through Ramos Arispe for the office of surveyor in Texas to replace the Baron de Bastrop. On June 13, 1824, Andrews was in Durango, but by August 23 he had returned to Parras, where he wrote on October 4 that he intended to petition the Mexican government for title to the entire Red River country including Pecan Point and to request a right of citizenship and appointment to the position of surveyor of Texas. Austin was asked to use his influence in securing the surveying position.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Eugene C. Barker, The Life of Stephen F. Austin (Nashville: Cokesbury Press, 1925; rpts., Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1949; New York: AMS Press, 1970). Pat Ireland Nixon, The Medical Story of Early Texas, 1528–1853 (Lancaster, Pennsylvania: Lupe Memorial Fund, 1946).

Marie Giles

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Marie Giles, "ANDREWS, ROBERT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fan24), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Recent Additions