Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

ANDERSON, LAURINE CECIL

ANDERSON, LAURINE CECIL (1853–1938). Laurine Cecil (L. C.) Anderson, black teacher and school administrator, was born in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1853 and received his B.A. from Fisk University. He trained for the Methodist ministry and taught at Tuskegee, Alabama, with Booker T. Washington before moving to Texas in 1879 to assist his brother E. H. Anderson, who was a minister and teacher at Prairie View Normal Institute (now Prairie View A&M University). In 1882 L. C. Anderson lobbied for university status for the school. Upon his brother's death on October 9, 1885, Anderson succeeded him as principal of Prairie View. During his tenure there Anderson helped form and was elected the first president of the Colored Teachers State Association (see TEACHERS STATE ASSOCIATION OF TEXAS). He served as president of the college from 1885 to 1889 and worked to unify African-American leaders in business, politics, and religious and fraternal organizations, as well as for to improve conditions for black Texans through education. After heading Prairie View for seventeen years, Anderson moved to Austin to serve as principal of the school for blacks that later became Anderson High School, named in his honor. He was principal for thirty-two years and taught Latin until he was forced to resign in 1928 because of ill health. Anderson died in Austin on January 8, 1938, and was buried at Oakwood Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Austin American-Statesman, August 25, 1953. Vernon McDaniel, History of the Teachers State Association of Texas (Washington: National Education Association, 1977). George Ruble Woolfolk, Prairie View (New York: Pageant, 1962).

Kharen Monsho

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Kharen Monsho, "ANDERSON, LAURINE CECIL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fan56), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.