ARMSTRONG, CAVITT (1808–?). Cavitt Armstrong, planter, was born in Tennessee in 1808 and arrived in Texas in September 1837. He settled near the site of present Mumford in Robertson County and operated one of the first plantations in the area. He served as justice of the peace for the county and was elected associate justice of Robertson County on April 22, 1845. He represented the county in the Convention of 1845. He subsequently held the office of notary public, first appointed in 1848 and reappointed in 1854. Armstrong owned twenty slaves and ran 600 cattle in 1854.
J. W. Baker, History of Robertson County, Texas (Franklin, Texas: Robertson County Historical Survey Committee, 1970). Lewis E. Daniell, Personnel of the Texas State Government, with Sketches of Representative Men of Texas (Austin: City Printing, 1887; 3d ed., San Antonio: Maverick, 1892). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James L. Hailey, "ARMSTRONG, CAVITT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/far07), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.