BARTHOLOMEW, EUGENE CARLOS
BARTHOLOMEW, EUGENE CARLOS (1839–1923). Eugene Carlos Bartholomew, government official and banker, was born in Hanover, Michigan, on January 3, 1839, the son of Orange Adams and Sarah (Wright) Bartholomew. About 1850 the family moved to Jonesville, Michigan, where Bartholomew helped his father operate a stage line. He graduated from Hillsdale College, Michigan, in 1861. He entered the United States Army as a civilian employee in 1864 and became chief clerk in the Quartermaster's Division of the Fourth Army Corps, a unit that was sent to Victoria, Texas, in July 1865. Bartholomew was among a group of federal soldiers sent to help oust Emperor Maximilian from Mexico, but they heard of the emperor's execution by the time they reached Indianola. When the army was disbanded, Bartholomew worked for the Freedmen's Bureau at Galveston and Austin, his duty being to establish schools. In July 1870 he was appointed superintendent of education and second assistant clerk of the House of Representatives. In 1871 he became chief clerk in the office of superintendent of public instruction and first assistant clerk of the House. In 1873 he began a real estate and loan business in Austin. From 1909 to 1919 he was water and light commissioner in Austin. He was also one of the founders and directors of the Austin National Bank and for many years a United States grand jury commissioner.
Bartholomew married Elizabeth Morley Brown on February 1, 1870, and they had one son. Bartholomew was a Republican, an Episcopalian, and a Mason. He died in Austin on October 27, 1923, and was buried in Oakwood Cemetery.
Austin Statesman, October 29, 1923. Eugene Carlos Bartholomew Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Vertical Files, Austin History Center.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanette H. Flachmeier, "BARTHOLOMEW, EUGENE CARLOS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fba91), accessed November 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.