Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BEALL, JAMES ANDREW [JACK]

BEALL, JAMES ANDREW [JACK] (1866–1929). James Andrew Beall, lawyer, congressman, and business executive, the son of Richard and Adelaide (Pierce) Beall, was born at Mountain Peak, Texas, on October 25, 1866. He attended public schools in Ellis County, then attended the University of Texas from 1886 to 1889. He was admitted to the bar in 1890 and returned to Ellis County, where he established a law office in Waxahachie. He served in the Texas House as a Democrat for one term, 1892–94, before entering the State Senate in 1894. He left the legislature in 1898 to return to private practice. Early that year he married Patricia Martin of Waxahachie. The couple had one child. Beall returned to the campaign trail in 1903 and was elected representative of the Fifth District of Texas to the Fifty-eighth Congress. He was reelected until he retired from public office at the end of the Sixty-third Congress, in 1915. After his retirement he moved to Dallas to become a partner in the legal firm of M. B. Templeton and Tony B. Williams. He concentrated on his legal career until June 1921, when he became president of the Texas Electric Railway upon the death of J. F. Strickland. Two years later Templeton died, and Beall became the senior partner in the reorganized law firm, now known as Beall, Worsham, Rollins, Burford, and Ryburn. In addition, he was elected president of Dallas Union Trust Company in 1927. He was a Mason and a Methodist. Beall died of a heart attack in Dallas on February 11, 1929.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Biographical Directory of the American Congress. Dallas Morning News, February 13, 1929. Who Was Who in America, Vol. 2.

David Minor

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

David Minor, "BEALL, JAMES ANDREW [JACK]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbe05), accessed October 02, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.