Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BEESON, BENJAMIN

BEESON, BENJAMIN (?–ca. 1837). Benjamin Beeson (or Beason), one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to his land in Colorado County on August 7, 1824. He operated a ferry on the Colorado River at the site of present Columbus, where his wife, Elizabeth, kept an inn. In April 1836 the Beeson family was at Harrisburg, where Mrs. Beeson operated a boarding house. Benjamin Beeson died before March 9, 1837; the Telegraph and Texas Register of March 14, 1837, carried a notice that William B. DeWees, Leander Beeson, and Abel Beeson were administrators of his estate.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto (Houston: Anson Jones, 1932). Amelia W. Williams and Eugene C. Barker, eds., The Writings of Sam Houston, 1813–1863 (8 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1938–43; rpt., Austin and New York: Pemberton Press, 1970).

Seymour V. Connor

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Seymour V. Connor, "BEESON, BENJAMIN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbe26), accessed December 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on March 2, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.