Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BETHEL, GEORGE EMMETT

BETHEL, GEORGE EMMETT (1894–1935). George Emmett Bethel, physician and teacher, was born on November 2, 1894, in Garland, Texas, the son of Simpson and Virginia Marcia (Soule) Bethel. After attending Garland High School and the University of Texas, he taught in 1914 at Lockhart. In 1923 he graduated with honors from the Medical Branch of the University of Texas (now the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston), where he was elected to Alpha Omega Alpha, a national honorary scholastic fraternity, and, as an undergraduate, served as assistant instructor in the anatomy department. After a year's internship in St. Mary's Infirmary (now St. Mary's Hospitalqv) in Galveston, he spent two years in Philadelphia General Hospital, one of them as assistant chief resident physician. He returned to the University of Texas medical school as associate professor of anatomy in 1926, but in September of that year he was asked to serve as director of the University of Texas health services. He was also professor of therapeutics in the UT School of Pharmacy. In 1928 Bethel was appointed dean of the University of Texas medical school. Under his stewardship the institution raised its standards and expanded its facilities. He was a member of the Texas Medical Association and the Southern Medical Association, a fellow of the American College of Physicians, and a member of Alpha Kappa medical fraternity. He was director of the Galveston YMCA, the Rosenberg Library, and the Red Cross board. He was a Rotarian, a Baptist, and a Mason. Dr. Bethel died on April 17, 1935, after an extended illness and was buried at Gorman, Texas.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Who Was Who in America, Vol. 2.

Albert O. Singleton

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Albert O. Singleton, "BETHEL, GEORGE EMMETT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbe67), accessed September 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.