Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BENNETT, MILES

BENNETT, MILES (1816–1887). Miles Bennett, son of Armstead and Faith Bennett, was born on July 26, 1816, in Indiana. He was the fourth of seven children, all of whom moved with their parents to Texas in 1834 and settled in an area now in the north part of Houston County. The sons bought land and moved into what is now Anderson County. Miles served in the Texas army from June 1 to September 1, 1836, as a private and was in the battle of San Jacinto. He also served in the Mexican War and one year in the Civil War.qqv His early land grants date from a Class 3 certificate in March 1839 and include a land patent in Anderson County, dated November 14, 1849, but not filed until July 17, 1874. His first wife was Rachel Parker, daughter of Daniel Parker. Rachel, born September 27, 1821, died on December 23, 1843, soon after the birth and death of their first child. They are buried in the same grave in Pilgrim Cemetery, the first persons interred there. Miles married Laura Jordan (Jerdon, Jourdon) on May 29, 1848. They had five children. The Bennetts were prosperous farmers; his real estate was valued at $8,000 and his personal property at $3,500 in 1860. Bennett died at his home in Anderson County, Texas, on November 28, 1887. There are grave markers for Bennett (a Texas Centennial marker) and his wives in the Pilgrim Cemetery.

This man is not to be confused with Miles S. Bennett, son of San Jacinto veteran Valentine Bennett (1780–1843).

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Pauline Buck Hohes, A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936). Gifford E. White, 1840 Citizens of Texas (2 vols., Austin, 1983–84).

Mrs. Harmon Watts

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Mrs. Harmon Watts, "BENNETT, MILES," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbeat), accessed October 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.