Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BLASIG, ANNE JUSTINE

BLASIG, ANNE JUSTINE (1900–1971). Anne Justine Blasig, author of The Wends of Texas (1954), was born on July 25, 1900, in Sealy, Texas, the daughter of Hermann and Caroline (Mennicke) Schmidt. The family moved to Galesburg, Illinois, in 1901, then in 1908 to Dexter, Iowa. Anne worked her way through the University of Iowa, where she received a B.A. in history. In 1951 she received an M.A. in history from the University of Texas. She taught in the public schools of New Braunfels, Brady, and Mercedes for twelve years. In Brady she helped establish the McCulloch County Library. She subsequently taught school in Harlingen for twenty-one years and was named outstanding teacher of the year before retiring in 1970. Hermann Schmidt was the last Wendish-speaking Lutheran minister in Serbin, Texas, from 1922 to 1947. Anne Blasig's book, The Wends of Texas, was first an M.A. thesis. She wrote numerous stories and articles and translated into English materials relating to the Wends in Texas, including an old ship's register of Wendish immigrants. She contributed to the Wendish exhibit at the University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures during HemisFair in 1968. She was married to Carl A. Blasig on July 1, 1924, and the couple had one daughter. Mrs. Blasig died on August 30, 1971, in San Benito and was buried in Mount Meta Cemetery there.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Anne Blasig Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Austin American, September 2, 1971. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Vertical Files, University of Texas Institute of Texan Cultures, San Antonio.

Mrs. Milton Walther

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Mrs. Milton Walther, "BLASIG, ANNE JUSTINE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbl18), accessed August 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.