BLOUNT, JAMES H.
BLOUNT, JAMES H. (ca. 1797–?). James H. Blount, soldier and member of the Consultation (1835), was born in North Carolina about 1797. He left that state about 1830 and in 1831 was principal of Greensburg Academy in St. Helena Parish, Louisiana. He arrived in Bevil Municipality, Texas, in 1835 and acquired a league of land on the east bank of the Neches River in the bounds of present-day Jasper County. The same year Blount married Penelope Williams and was listed as a farmer on census reports. He was one of five delegates from Bevil to the Consultation, although there is no record of his having taken part in the proceedings. Blount joined the Texas army in December 1835 and was brevetted first lieutenant in the artillery by Gen. Thomas J. Rusk on June 22, 1836. He became a clerk in the paymaster general's office in 1836. He had at least one child. Stephen H. Everitt administered Blount's Jasper County estate in 1840. In 1863 a James H. Blunt received a 960-acre bounty warrant in McLennan County, for service between December 1835 and October 21, 1836.
Kirbyville Banner, June 2, 1971. Madeleine Martin, More Early Southeast Texas Families (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1978). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BLOUNT, JAMES H.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbl29), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.