BROOKS, BLUFORD (?–?). Bluford (Beauford?) Brooks, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a sitio of land on August 10, 1824. On December 15, 1830, the ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin declared that Brooks had abandoned the country in 1825 and that his land, which lay west of the Brazos River near the Old San Antonio Road, was vacant and the title void. A Beauford Brooks was justice of the peace at Washington-on-the-Brazos in 1856, and another of the same, born in South Carolina about 1797, was living in Jasper County in 1850.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Eugene C. Barker, ed., "Minutes of the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin, 1828–1832," 12 parts, Southwestern Historical Quarterly 21–24 (January 1918-October 1920). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Worth Stickley Ray, Austin Colony Pioneers (Austin: Jenkins, 1949; 2d ed., Austin: Pemberton, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."BROOKS, BLUFORD," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbr70), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.