Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BROWN, EDWY ROLFE

BROWN, EDWY ROLFE (1868–1942). Edwy Rolfe Brown, oilman, son of John A. and Isabel (Shaw) Brown, was born in Little Hocking, Ohio, on December 4, 1868. He attended Marietta Academy and received a B.A. degree from Marietta College in 1894. From 1894 to 1898 he worked for the Standard Oil Company of New York, first as yardman and later as superintendent of the refinery. He moved to Texas with Joseph Stephen Cullinan in April 1898 and established a refinery at Corsicana. In 1901 or 1902 Brown became general manager of the Corsicana Refining Company, the Corsicana Pipe Line Company, and the Corsicana Petroleum Company; in 1911 he became vice president of the Magnolia Petroleum Company and in 1914 moved to Dallas as general manager. He was director and vice president of Standard Oil Company of New York from 1925 to 1929 and chairman of the board after 1932. He was a director of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas from 1930 to 1935 and was city commissioner of Dallas in 1931–32. He served as president of the Dallas Chamber of Commerce, as a director of the Southwestern Life Insurance Company and of the Gulf Insurance Company, and as trustee of the University of Dubuque and of Marietta College in Ohio. He was one of the organizers of the Texas Centennial Central Exposition in Dallas in 1936. On November 14, 1900, Brown married Nelle Loraine Hamilton; they had one daughter. Nelle died in 1911. On April 30, 1913, Brown married Florrie Bess McCrery. He died in New York City on January 25, 1942, and was buried in Grove Hill Cemetery, Dallas.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Who's Who in America, 1938–39. Dallas Morning News, January 28, 1942.

Jeanette H. Flachmeier

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Jeanette H. Flachmeier, "BROWN, EDWY ROLFE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbr80), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.