Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BRASHER, SEMORE C.

BRASHER, SEMORE C. (1832–1863). Semore C. Brasher, also listed as Seymore and Seymour, farmer, postmaster, and Confederate officer, was born in Shelby County, Alabama, in 1832. He was the son of John Andrew Jackson and Tabitha (Hawkins) Brasher. Brasher was raised in Alabama and resided in Talledega and Coosa counties. On January 1, 1854, Brasher married Mary F. Wilson in Coosa County. By 1858 Brasher brought his family to Texas and settled in Brazos County, where he was a landowner, postmaster, and an active Mason.

In the autumn of 1861, Brasher organized a company of infantry at Millican, Brazos County, for service in the Confederate Army. This unit was mustered into the Tenth Texas Infantry Regiment as Company F at Waco on October 13, 1861, with Brasher elected as captain. On September 12, 1862, Brasher received promotion to major. He became a prisoner of war when the Tenth Texas Infantry was captured at the battle of Arkansas Post on January 11, 1863. He was moved to a prison camp at Camp Chase in Ohio on January 3, 1863, before being moved to Fort Delaware, Delaware, on April 10, 1863. His unit was paroled on April 25, 1863, but Brasher had contracted an illness that caused him to remain behind at Fort Delaware while his unit returned home. On May 4, 1863, Brasher succumbed to his illness and died.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Texas, National Archives and Records Service, Washington. "Re: Seymour C. Brasher—Texas," GenForum, Genealogy.com (http://genforum.genealogy.com/brasher/messages/435.html), accessed March 8, 2011.

Aragorn Storm Miller

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Aragorn Storm Miller, "BRASHER, SEMORE C.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbrao), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on March 22, 2011. Modified on April 11, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.