Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

BROUGHTON, DEMPSEY W.

BROUGHTON, DEMPSEY W. (1824–?). Dempsey W. Broughton, also known as Dempsey Winborne Broughton, doctor, lawyer, minister, and Confederate officer, was born in Monroe County, Alabama, on August 15, 1824. He was the son of Edward Thomas, Sr., and Rachel (Winborne) Broughton. In 1848 Edward Broughton brought his family to Jasper County, Texas. Two years later, the Broughton family moved to Cherokee County, where Dempsey Broughton joined the Masons in 1852. Prior to the Civil War, Broughton became a resident of Kaufman County, Texas.

On March 10, 1862, Broughton enlisted as a private at Kaufman County for service in Capt. J.R. Johnson's Company of Thomas Coke Bass's Regiment Texas Mounted Volunteers. On March 22, 1861, this unit was mustered into service in the Confederate Army as Company C of the Twentieth Texas Cavalry Regiment. On April 12, 1862, he was elected major in the regiment. Broughton served with this unit in actions in Indian Territory in present-day Oklahoma. He resigned his commission on January 27, 1863, due to ill health but returned for service with the regiment prior to July 20, 1864. In addition to directing troops in battle, he also served as a chaplain. After the war, Broughton returned to Kaufman County and lived near his parents. He was a Cumberland Presbyterian minister in Kaufman and Dallas counties. Broughton's mother passed away in 1869, followed by his father in 1891. The date of his death is not known.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Migrations: Edward Thomas Broughton, Sr. (http://www.migrations.org/individual.php3?record=9754), accessed March 8, 2011. The Winbornes (http://members.tripod.com/~MearsM2/Winborne.html), accessed May 18, 2006.

Aragorn Storm Miller

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Aragorn Storm Miller, "BROUGHTON, DEMPSEY W. ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbrbi), accessed November 23, 2014. Uploaded on March 22, 2011. Modified on April 9, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.