BUSTAMANTE, ANASTACIO (1780–1853). Anastacio Bustamante, president of Mexico, son of José Ruiz and Francisca Oseguera Bustamante, was born at Jiquilpan, Michoacán, Mexico, on July 27, 1780. He attended a seminary college in Guadalajara, studied medicine in Mexico City, and practiced medicine in San Luis Potosí. At the time of the Mexican War of Independence, Bustamante fought for a time as a cavalry officer with the Spanish forces and then changed sides to fight under Agustín de Iturbide, who appointed him captain general of the Provincias Internas. In 1822 captain general Bustamante recommended that Stephen F. Austin be allowed to settle his colony near San Antonio because he foresaw the dangers of allowing American settlers to establish themselves beyond the confines of Mexican rule in Texas. President Guadalupe Victoria reappointed Bustamante captain general of the Provincias Internas. Bustamante was declared vice president of Mexico in January 1829 and was acting president when the Law of April 6, 1830, was passed. He was again president from April 1837 to March 1839, and from July 1839 to September 1841. He spent the last years of his life in retirement at San Miguel de Allende, where he died on February 6, 1853.
Vito Alessio Robles, Coahuila y Texas en la época colonial (Mexico City: Editorial Cultura, 1938; 2d ed., Mexico City: Editorial Porrúa, 1978). Hubert Howe Bancroft, History of Mexico (6 vols., San Francisco: A. L. Bancroft and the History Company, 1883–89). Eugene C. Barker, The Life of Stephen F. Austin (Nashville: Cokesbury Press, 1925; rpt., Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1949; New York: AMS Press, 1970). Manuel Rivera Cambas, Los Gobernantes de México (2 vols., Mexico City: Imp. de J. M. Aguilar Ortiz, 1873).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.C. A. Hutchinson, "BUSTAMANTE, ANASTACIO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbu61), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.