BUCK, JOHN A.
BUCK, JOHN A. (1837–1891). John A. Buck, Confederate cavalry officer, was born on October 2, 1837, in Troup, Georgia. By 1860 he had moved to Texas and was working as a clerk for a L. H. Williams in Paris in Lamar County.
When the Civil War began, Buck enlisted on December 31, 1861, in Paris, Texas, as a second lieutenant in Company F of Col. Robert H. Taylor's Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On January 16, 1862, at Fort Washita, Buck's unit was mustered into service in the Twenty-second Texas Cavalry Regiment. This unit was also at times known as the First Indian Texas Regiment and Merrick's Regiment Texas Dismounted Cavalry. On June 30, 1862, the unit was reorganized, and Buck was promoted to the rank of captain. Sometime between February and May of 1864, Buck was promoted to the rank of major, and on May 18. 1864, he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel. Buck's unit served in the Trans-Mississippi Department and saw action in Arkansas and Louisiana. It was included in the surrender of June 2, 1865. After the Civil War, he remained active with the Association of Ex-Confederates of Collin County.
Buck married Harriet Susan Pattillo of Cass County on July 6, 1870, and the couple had four children—three boys and one girl. By 1880 he and his family lived in Collin County where Buck worked as a farmer. On February 14, 1891, Buck died. He is buried at the Pecan Grove Memorial Park in McKinney. It is one of the oldest cemeteries in North Texas.
Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Texas, National Archives and Records Service, Washington. Joseph H. Crute, Jr., Units of the Confederate States Army (Midlothian, Virginia: Derwent, 1987).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew K. Hamilton, "BUCK, JOHN A.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbuak), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on March 22, 2011. Modified on April 11, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.