BURLESON, ANDREW BELL
BURLESON, ANDREW BELL (1830–1874). Andrew Bell Burleson, Confederate officer, was born in Fayette, Tennessee, on June 10, 1830, the son of John Shipman and Sarah (Bell) Burleson. Burleson married Martha Ann Collins on April 24, 1850. The marriage produced two children. In 1860 Andrew worked as a farmer near Webberville in Travis County. That year he reported $14,000 in real estate and $7,000 in personal property, including the ownership of five slaves. Between April 1860 and May 1861, Burleson served as a captain in the Texas Rangers.
In August 1861 Burleson worked among the citizens of Ellis County to begin organizing companies of cavalry for service in the Civil War. These companies and others were organized into the Twelfth Texas Cavalry and mustered into service in the Confederate Army on October 28, 1861, and Burleson was appointed adjutant of the regiment. On September 11, 1861, Burleson was elected as a lieutenant colonel in the Twelfth Texas Cavalry regiment. Burleson served with this unit in campaigns in the Trans-Mississippi theater of war, including actions in Arkansas in 1862, the Little Rock Campaign of 1863, and the Red River campaign in 1864. Burleson was in service with the regiment when the Trans-Mississippi Department surrendered on May 26, 1865. He was paroled on July 27, 1865, after which he returned to Travis County.
In 1870 Burleson had returned to work as a farmer and lived with members of his extended family and his only son, John C., who had become a Texas Ranger. Burleson died on April 21, 1874, in Austin.
Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Texas, National Archives and Records Service, Washington.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Aragorn Storm Miller and Matthew K. Hamilton, "BURLESON, ANDREW BELL," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbual), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on April 11, 2011. Modified on April 18, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.