COLLINS, RICHARD M.
COLLINS, RICHARD M. (1815–?). Richard M. Collins, Brazoria County legislator, county official, and planter, moved to Texas from New York, probably around 1840. He received an unconditional certificate for land in Brazoria County on June 4, 1844. He represented that county in the Eighth Congress (1843–44) and was on a committee in 1845 to draft a resolution to the Senate expressing Brazoria County's aversion to certain diplomatic appointees. In August 1851 Collins was elected justice of the peace of precinct four in Brazoria. He was elected county commissioner in August 1856 and served until removed by military commander Gen. J. J. Reynolds on April 25, 1869. According to one source, Collins was a doctor who owned a plantation on Oyster Creek. In 1860 he was among the wealthiest citizens in the county, with real property valued at $44,070, personal property estimated at $85,324, and seventy-seven slaves. The 1870 census listed him as a stock raiser and farmer. Confederate veteran Ferrell Vincent, Collins, and others moved their families to Tuxpan, Vera Cruz, after the Civil War, formed the Tuxpan Land Company, and bought a half million acres in the area. Collins is believed to have died in Mexico, and his family did not return to Texas. The Tuxpan land was eventually confiscated by the Mexican government, and the colony came to an end.
Abner J. Strobel, The Old Plantations and Their Owners of Brazoria County (Houston, 1926; rev. ed., Houston: Bowman and Ross, 1930; rpt., Austin: Shelby, 1980). Telegraph and Texas Register, January 8, 1845. Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). Ralph A. Wooster, "Wealthy Texans, 1860," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 71 (October 1967).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Carolyn Hyman, "COLLINS, RICHARD M.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fco26), accessed December 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.