Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share


COX, ANDREW MCCLURE (1816–1891). Andrew McClure Cox, farmer, businessman, state representative, and county official, was born in Whitley County, Kentucky, on July 19, 1816, the son of Samuel, Jr., and Jane (McClure) Cox. Cox was raised in Kentucky. Around 1835 Andrew Cox married Anna Elizabeth Miles; they had fourteen children. Cox and his family left Kentucky prior to 1840, living for a time in Missouri before immigrating to Texas around 1849. The family initially settled in Travis County, but they had relocated to Corwin, Burnet County, by 1853. During this time Andrew farmed and was active in the affairs of Burnet and Travis counties. By April 1865 Cox was an officer of Henry Thomas Masonic Lodge No. 278 in Burnet. From September 1867 through January 1872 he was postmaster for Perdenales, Travis County. In 1870 he won election as representative for Burnet County to the Twelfth Texas Legislature. That same year Cox purchased a homestead and mill in Burnet at the Smithwick Mills settlement. In addition to operating the mill, he also established and operated a general store on this property. After his first wife Anna died, Andrew Cox remarried on August 18, 1878, to Millicent Emma Yett. Cox's final turn at public service was as postmaster of Smithwick, a position he held from February 1882 until his death. Andrew McClure Cox died in Burnet County on September 28, 1891, and was buried in Spicewood, Travis County, at Corwin Cemetery.


Darrell Debo, Burnet County History (2 vols., Burnet, Texas: Eakin Press, 1979). IGI Individual Record, "Andrew McClure Cox" (, accessed June 13, 2007. Postmasters & Post Offices of Burnet County, Texas (, accessed June 13, 2007. Postmasters & Post Offices of Travis County, Texas (, accessed June 13, 2007.

Aragorn Storm Miller


The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Aragorn Storm Miller, "COX, ANDREW MCCLURE," Handbook of Texas Online (, accessed February 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on November 25, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.