CRAWFORD, WILLIAM LYNE
CRAWFORD, WILLIAM LYNE (1839–1920). William Lyne Crawford, lawyer and legislator, was born on January 23, 1839, in Clay County, Kentucky, the son of Jeptha D. and Catherine Crawford. He moved to Texas with his parents in 1843, first to Harrison County and later to Marion County. He attended McKenzie College and studied law with David B. Culberson. Crawford joined the Confederate Army In 1861 and served as lieutenant colonel of the Nineteenth Texas Infantry. After the Civil War he returned to Jefferson and was admitted to the bar in 1866. He was a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1875. In 1880 he and his brother, M. L. Crawford, moved their law partnership, Crawford and Crawford, from Jefferson to Dallas, where William became a noted criminal and civil lawyer who tried cases of nationwide importance. He was a member of the House of Representatives of the Twenty-second Legislature, 1891–92. Crawford was married to Love Alley. On October 1, 1896, he married Katherine Lester Lamar, a widow with a son. Katherine studied in the Julien School in Paris, France; taught at Professor Jones Female College; and as an art collector built a private gallery on the side of the Crawford house on Ross Avenue. Crawford had one daughter and three sons. He died on February 17, 1920, and was buried in Oakland Cemetery, Dallas. See CRAWFORD, KATHERINE LESTER.
Dallas Morning News, February 18, 1920. William L. McDonald, Dallas Rediscovered: A Photographic Chronicle of Urban Expansion, 1870–1925 (Dallas: Dallas County Historical Society, 1978). Men of Texas (Houston: Houston Post, 1903). John William Rogers, The Lusty Texans of Dallas (New York: Dutton, 1951; enlarged ed. 1960; expanded ed., Dallas: Cokesbury Book Store, 1965). Who Was Who in America, Vol. 1.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."CRAWFORD, WILLIAM LYNE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcr14), accessed July 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.