CUMINGS, WILLIAM (?–1828). William Cumings, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists and a son of Anthony and Rebekah Cumings, received title to a league of land in what is now Brazoria County on July 21, 1824. However, he lived with other family members on Palmetto (later Mill) Creek, north of San Felipe in Austin County. He served in the War of 1812 and was with a force of Kentuckians at the battle of the Thames. In 1822 he accompanied his mother, two sisters, and brothers James and John Cumingsqqv to Texas. The three brothers entered into an agreement to construct and operate a gristmill and a sawmill on Palmetto Creek. William journeyed back to Lewis County, Kentucky, where, on December 20, 1825, he married Lucinda Ruggles. The 1826 census lists him as aged twenty-five to forty, with a wife aged eighteen to twenty-five, two slaves, and two servants. The couple settled on Palmetto Creek near the family mills and had one son. Cumings died at his residence on September 2, 1828, and the following year his widow returned with young Samuel to Kentucky.
Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Worth Stickley Ray, Austin Colony Pioneers (Austin: Jenkins, 1949; 2d ed., Austin: Pemberton, 1970). Texas General Land Office, First Census of Austin's Colony, 1826 (MS, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tim Cumings, "CUMINGS, WILLIAM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcu15), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.