DAVIS, GEORGE WASHINGTON
DAVIS, GEORGE WASHINGTON (1817–1880). George Washington Davis, soldier in the Texas Revolution, son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Davidson) Davis, was born in Bedford County, Tennessee, on August 1, 1817. His father was a breeder of horses and was assisted in that occupation by his three sons and his daughter. In 1830 Davis and his family left Tennessee with their stock of fine-blooded horses, which became the basis of a family-operated Texas stud farm. On October 2, 1835, Davis participated in the battle of Gonzales, when the Gonzales "Come and Take It" cannon was successfully defended, and on October 28, 1835, he was with the Texas force at the battle of Concepción. He fought at the siege of Bexar in December 1835. In 1836 the Davises are said to have burned their homes and joined the Runaway Scrape, taking as many of their best-blooded horses as they could. A George Davis, possibly the subject of this article, joined Gen. Sam Houston's volunteer army and fought with him in the battle of San Jacinto as a private in Company D of the First Regiment of Texas Volunteers. Davis was married on May 27, 1840, to Mary Caroline Pease, a widow. They had eight children. Mrs. Davis died between 1849 and 1854. On September 12, 1854, Davis married Elizabeth Ann McCullough, a widow. There were no children from the second marriage. Davis died on November 15, 1880, and was buried in the Davis Cemetery, which is on private property off Highway 766 northwest of Cuero, near the DeWitt-Gonzales county line.
Gonzales County Historical Commission, History of Gonzales County (Dallas: Curtis, 1986). Louis J. Wortham, A History of Texas (5 vols., Fort Worth: Wortham-Molyneaux, 1924). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.W. Lamar Fly, "DAVIS, GEORGE WASHINGTON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fda38), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.