Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

DICKINSON, ALMERON

DICKINSON, ALMERON (ca. 1800–1836). Almeron Dickinson, defender of the Alamo, was a Pennsylvanian who served as an artilleryman in the United States Army. He became a Mason in the area of Bolivar, Tennessee. On May 24, 1829, he eloped with Susanna Wilkerson (see DICKINSON, SUSANNA W.). The couple moved to Gonzales, Texas, in 1831 and had a daughter, Angelina Dickinson, in 1834. As a colonist in Green DeWitt's colony, Dickinson received a league of land on the San Marcos River. He participated in the battle of Gonzales on October 2, 1835, which began the Texas Revolution. At the siege of Bexar he distinguished himself as a lieutenant of artillery; at the battle of the Alamo he was the captain in charge of artillery. On the morning of March 6, 1836, as the troops of Gen. Antonio L√≥pez de Santa Anna stormed the mission, Dickinson ran to his wife, reported that all was lost, and expressed hope that she could save herself and the child. Although he died at the Alamo, his wife and child survived.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

James T. DeShields, Tall Men with Long Rifles (San Antonio: Naylor, 1935). Gonzales County Historical Commission, History of Gonzales County (Dallas: Curtis, 1986). Edward Albert Lukes, De Witt Colony of Texas (Austin: Jenkins, 1976). Phil Rosenthal and Bill Groneman, Roll Call at the Alamo (Fort Collins, Colorado: Old Army, 1985). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Amelia W. Williams, A Critical Study of the Siege of the Alamo and of the Personnel of Its Defenders (Ph.D. dissertation, University of Texas, 1931; rpt., Southwestern Historical Quarterly 36–37 [April 1933-April 1934]).

Katherine L. Massey

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Katherine L. Massey, "DICKINSON, ALMERON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fdi05), accessed November 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on July 24, 2014. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

Recent Additions